Terry Stricklin, SYNLawn Houston, OwnerApril 30, 2020Uncategorized
Dreaming of a beautiful, low-maintenance lawn? If you’re in the Houston area, investing in a synthetic lawn for your home can offer tons of benefits, including big savings on your water bill. But if you’re not quite sure if it’s right for you, you’re not alone. Since it is a big investment to get quality synthetic grass, you’ll want to take your time to decide.
Keep reading as we run through some of the common questions you can ask yourself as you make your decision.
What Will You Use the Synthetic Lawn For?
Homeowners get synthetic lawns for many reasons, so take some time to imagine how you’d incorporate it into your space, what you’d use it for, and who would use it. For example:
- Will the grass go under a playground set, to give your kids a soft area to play on?
- Will you install the grass on the side of your home, as a designated pet area?
- Will you be using the synthetic grass as a putting green or for specific sports or activities?
- Will you be creating a trendy rooftop lawn, to allow for outdoor activities with a beautiful view?
Whether you’re planning out a traditional backyard or front yard, or perhaps you’re thinking of a more unusual use for your synthetic grass, the way you plan to use your space should be factored into the type of grass you purchase. Different types of synthetic grass can withhold more foot traffic than others, while some options are more ideal for rooftop spaces where you need a lightweight choice.
What’s Your Budget?
The next question you’ll want to ask yourself is: what is your budget for your synthetic lawn? Since there are many types of grass to choose from, your costs can vary. High-quality synthetic grass will of course be more expensive than its lower-quality counterparts, but the investment is often worth it when you factor in all of the benefits.
In general, synthetic grass can cost anywhere from $10 to $20 per square foot after installation. For a small, 500-square-foot space, this would land you at about $7,500 assuming a cost of $15 per square foot. Of course, prices will vary depends on the type of turf that you choose and how much you actually will need for your own space. Here are some quick tips for measuring:
- For square and rectangular-shaped lawns, multiply the width times the length.
- For round and oval-shaped lawns, measure the length of the two widest sections and multiple those together.
- For L-shaped lawns or other angled or awkward shapes, it’s best to break up the lawn into sections; calculate the measurements for each section and then add them together to find your total.
Before you get sticker shock, keep in mind that once your turf is in place, you’ll find there are tons of benefits of having a synthetic lawn. You’ll be saving money each year on your water bill, as well as typical maintenance costs (no lawnmower, fertilizer, or pesticides needed!).
Finally, it’s smart to look at the warranty that’s offered with the synthetic grass you choose, also. At Synlawn Houston, we offer the best manufacturer-backed 15-year warranty in the business, so you know your investment is safe with us.
What Details Matter to You?
As you start exploring the different types of synthetic grass, you’ll notice it all comes down to the details. Different types boast variations in color, density, overall look, and of course quality.
Our SYNAugustine 547, for example, blends soft, beautiful field, olive, and apple green grass blades with a turf tan thatch to create a stunning variety of synthetic turf. If artificial grass that looks and feels like the real thing is important to you, this is a great option. Alternately, our SYNLawn Precision Putt Pro is designed for the golf enthusiast or golf professional seeking performance just like you’d expect to see on tour.
If you’re not quite sure what you’re looking for, we’re happy to offer a free consultation— contact us and we’ll help you as you explore the options!
What Kind of Maintenance Are You Prepared For?
One of the biggest advantages of installing artificial turf is that once it’s in, you’ll have a low-maintenance yard for the life of the turf. Most artificial turf lasts an average of 10-20 years, so that’s a long time!
That being said, there is still some maintenance required to keep your turf looking beautiful. As you’re deciding if a synthetic lawn is right for you and your home, make sure you’re ready for the following tasks:
- Use a lawn sweeper or leaf blower regularly to clean off any dirt or fallen leaves (you can also rinse with a hose)
- Spot clean any spills or pet accidents right away, to avoid staining
- Brush the lawn regularly with a stiff-bristled brush, to ensure the blades stand upright
Our Team is Ready to Help
So, is an artificial lawn right for you and your home? We hope so! If you still have questions, or if you’re ready to invest in a beautiful, long-lasting yard, contact us today and we’ll be happy to help.